Tips from FEMA for Preparing Your Home for a Hurricane
- Plan to bring in all outdoor furniture, decorations, garbage cans, and any other items that are not properly secured or tied down
- Keep all trees and shrubs well trimmed so they are more wind resistant
- Plan what you and your family will do if your home is not accessible
- Cover any windows with precut plywood or hurricane shutters to protect them from high wind
- Consider if you will be able to run the business form an alternate location or even from your home
- Turn off utilities as instructed. Otherwise, turn the refrigerator thermostat to its coldest setting and keep the doors securely closed
- Turn off propane tanks
- Ensure a supply of water for sanitary purposes such as cleaning and flushing toilets.
- Fill the bathtub and other large containers with water.
- Create an emergency supply kit filled with items you may need in the event that you have to evacuate or bunker down