Stay Safe While Grilling this Holiday Weekend
Charcoal grill safety tips to consider:
- Grill outside and away from any structures
- Make sure your grill is stabl
- Keep your grill clean
- Check for propane leaks on your gas grill
- If the flame goes out, wait to re-light
- Take care around the grill
- Be careful with charcoal starter fluid
- Wear the right clothing
- Be ready to put out the fire
Other things to keep in mind:
- If you use a starter fluid, use only charcoal starter fluid. Never add charcoal fluid or any other flammable liquid to the flames.
- Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and away from heat sources.
- Electric charcoal starters do not use fire. Be sure to use an extension cord for outdoor use.
- When you are finished grilling, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container with a lid.
- Have baking soda on hand to control a grease fire and a fire extinguisher nearby for other fires.
- If you don’t have a fire extinguisher, keep a bucket of sand next to the grill.
- Never use water to put out grease fire.