Recent Storm Damage Posts
What to Do When Your Basement Floods in Metuchen, NJ
When your basement floods in Metuchen, our team is ready to provide emergency cleanup services 24/7.
Flooded basements in Metuchen, NJ are surprisingly common, with about 98 percent of basements experiencing flooding or water damage at some point in their lifetime.
When you discover water in your basement in Metuchen, NJ, it’s important to know what steps to take. Not only do you want to take action to prevent damages from spreading, but it’s crucial to do so safely.
So what should you do when your basement is flooding in Metuchen, NJ? Here, we will outline why your basement is flooding, as well as how to handle water or flood damage in your basement.
Need Assistance? Call 24/7 - 732-248-9555
What Causes Flooded Basements in Metuchen, NJ?
The most common causes of flooding or water damage in basements include:
- Leaking or burst water heater
- Heavy rains
- Excessive snow melt
- Burst pipes
- Sewage backups
How to Handle Flooding in Your Basement
- Don't immediately enter a flooded crawlspace or basement! The first step involves making sure that the flooded area is safe to enter first. If there’s a decent amount of standing water, you want to turn off your electricity and gas.
- Get dressed in protective gear. Since basement water can often be contaminated depending on the source, it's unsafe to wade through flood water in your everyday clothes and shoes. Before you enter your flooded or wet basement, you want to put on rain boots and other protective gear like chest waders if the water is high enough. However, if your basement is this flooded, we recommend calling a professional water damage restoration company like SERVPRO of Edison to properly handle the situation.
- Find the source of the water. Understanding where the water is coming from is key to determining your next steps. If the flooding is due to heavy rains, wait until the storm ends and water stops flowing into your basement. If the water is from a burst pipe, hot water heater, or sewage backup, you should turn your water off immediately.
- Check your sump pump or drain in your basement to make sure it’s working. While sump pumps and floor drains are supposed to help drain standing water in your basement, they can also cause flooding if they are clogged or broken. If you have a sump pump or drain in your basement that’s clogged or broken, try your best to get it to work.
- Begin removing water. If there are only small puddles of water, you can use a wet dry vacuum, towels, or a mop and bucket to remove the majority of the water. If there's a few inches or more of standing water, we recommend calling a professional basement water removal company. SERVPRO of Edison has advanced water extraction equipment to quickly remove water and help minimize damages.
- Fix the cause of your flooded basement. You want to make sure to take preventative measures so that you don't have to deal with a flooded basement again. If your home is prone to flooding, consider basement waterproofing. If you don't already have a sump pump or floor drain in your basement, consider installing them.
Need Basement Flooding Cleanup in Metuchen, NJ?
When your New Jersey basement sustains flooding or water damage, your local SERVPRO in Metuchen, NJ provides immediate assistance. Our 24/7 rapid response helps to minimize damages and prevent secondary damages like mold growth inside your home or business.
With over 15 years of experience in basement flooding cleanup in Metuchen, NJ, you can trust SERVPRO of Edison to handle any size water emergency. Our IICRC Certified restoration specialists have all of the training and resources needed to respond to your call immediately with expert cleanup and restoration services.
When you call SERVPRO of Edison for help with a flooded basement in Metuchen, NJ, our goal is to make the water in your basement or crawl space “Like it never even happened.”
Get 24/7 Assistance With Water in Your Basement in Metuchen, NJ - 732-248-9555
Storm Damage Cleanup in Metuchen, NJ
When you're dealing with storm damage to your home or business, SERVPRO of Edison is Here to Help 24/7.
Storm Damage in Metuchen, NJ? Get Help Today.
When tropical storms, strong winds, or tornadoes move through Metuchen, NJ, the damages to your home or business can be extensive and require immediate assistance to prevent your property from further damages.
When you need emergency storm damage restoration in Metuchen, NJ, SERVPRO of Edison is ready to respond 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Call Our Office For Immediate Assistance - 732-248-9555
Professional Storm Damage Restoration in Metuchen, NJ
Roof Tarping & Board Ups
When your property is affected by storm damage, you need a professional restoration company that will provide expert storm damage repair services to fully restore your home or business to its pre-storm damage condition.
As your local restoration service with over 15 years of experience in storm damage cleanup near Metuchen and the surrounding areas, you can trust SERVPRO of Edison to handle any size storm damage in Metuchen, NJ.
Your local SERVPRO in Metuchen, NJ provides emergency services for damages caused by a storm to secure your property and prevent further damages. Our team of IICRC Certified restoration specialists have all of the training and resources needed to quickly respond to your call, stabilize your property, and begin the storm cleanup and restoration process.
SERVPRO of Edison also simplifies the insurance process to make it as stress-free as possible. Our team will directly communicate with your insurance company and submit all required documentation on your behalf.
When you call SERVPRO of Edison for storm damage cleanup in Metuchen, NJ, we're ready to make your disaster "Like it never even happened."
Storm Damage Repair Process
Although SERVPRO of Edison will create a unique plan for your storm damage restoration in Metuchen, NJ, the general process remains the same.
Our Project Manager carefully inspects your property to create a plan for full cleanup and restoration. Here, they will determine all areas affected and detect moisture or water damage.
2. Board-Up and Roof-Tarp (As Needed)
Depending on the type and severity of storm damage, there may be holes in your roof or gaps in the structure of your home from fallen trees, flying debris, or high winds. Our team will respond immediately to board up windows and exterior walls, or tarp your roof to minimize and prevent further damages to your home or business.
After the storm, there will most likely be water leaking into or flooding your home. When our team arrives on site, we immediately begin removing water using powerful pumps and vacuum units. This step is essential in preventing the spread of water damage or the growth of mold.
Our restoration professionals use moisture detection equipment to locate any hidden or remaining areas of moisture. We then use commercial grade air movers, dehumidifiers, and other specialized equipment to completely dry all affected areas. This step may also involve removing affected building materials that cannot be salvaged.
Our team cleans, disinfects, and repairs all restorable items and building materials affected by your storm damage in Metuchen, NJ. If mold damage is present, SERVPRO of Edison can also provide mold removal services.
The last step in storm damage cleanup in Metuchen, NJ is restoring your home or business to its pre-storm damage condition. The restoration step can be relatively minor, such as replacing a few drywall panels, or could include major reconstruction, such as rebuilding entire rooms or areas of a home or business.
Get Help 24/7 With Storm Damage in Metuchen, NJ - 732-248-9555
Preventing Flooded Basements in Edison, NJ
When your basement floods in Edison, NJ, our team is ready 24/7 to respond with expert cleanup and restoration services.
With over 98 percent of basements experiencing flooding or water damage at some point in their lifetime, a flooded basement in Edison, NJ is much more common than homeowners would suspect. However, many aren't sure where to start first when they find water in their basement in Edison, NJ.
So, what should you do when your basement experiences flooding in Edison, New Jersey? Here, we will outline why your basement is flooding, how to handle flooding in your basement, and how to prevent your basement from flooding in the future.
Need Basement Flood Cleanup? Call 24/7 - 732-248-9555
Why Is Your Basement Flooding?
There are several reasons that your basement may be experiencing flooding or water damage. The most common causes include:
- Leaking or burst water heater
- Heavy rains
- Excessive snow melt
- Burst pipes
- Sewage backups
1. Water Heaters
When was the last time you replaced your hot water heater? The average life expectancy for most water heaters is 8-15 years, which means that the older your water heater gets, the more likely it is to cause water damage inside your home.
2. Heavy Rains
Your basement is increasingly likely to flood during periods of storms and heavy rains. When the ground around your foundation becomes saturated, water will work its way into your basement in any way possible.
If there are cracks in your foundation or if the windows in your basement have been incorrectly installed, water can slip through that way.
3. Excessive Snow Melt
When warmer weather follows after a big snow storm, all of the snow around your house may melt quickly, allowing water to pool around its foundation and saturate the ground.
4. Burst Pipes
When a water pipe in your home is old, corroded, or experiences increased water pressure, it could burst. Burst water pipes can cause extensive water damage inside your home.
During the winter, water can often freeze inside your pipes, which also causes them to burst.
5. Sewage Backups
Depending on where they take place in your home, sewage backups and toilet overflows are another common source of a wet or flooded basement in Edison, NJ.
The most common causes of a sewage backup include:
- Broken sewer lines
- Roots growing into sewer pipes
- Flushing items like diapers or sanitary napkins down the toilet
- Heavy rains
What To Do When Your Basement Floods
- Don't immediately enter a flooded crawlspace or basement! Make sure that the affected area is safe to enter first. If there's a large amount of standing water, you should turn off your electricity and gas.
- Find the source of the water. Understanding where the water is coming from is key to determining your next steps. If the water is a result of a burst pipe, hot water heater, or sewer backup, turn off your water immediately. If the flooding is due to heavy rains, wait until the storm ends and water stops flowing into your basement.
- If you have a sump pump or drain in your basement, make sure it's working. Both of these things aid in draining water from your basement, but it's also possible that they may be the cause of the flooding issue.
- Begin removing water. If there are only small puddles of water, you can use a wet dry vacuum, towels, or a mop and bucket. If there's a few inches or more of standing water, we recommend calling a professional basement water removal company to provide expert water extraction services. SERVPRO of Edison has specialized equipment to quickly extract all water from your basement to help mitigate damages and prevent mold growth.
- Dry out your basement as well as possible. Remove any wet belongings so that they can dry. If there was a lot of standing water for an extended period of time, SERVPRO of Edison can help with our advanced equipment and moisture meters to make sure your basement is completely dry.
- Start cleaning and sanitizing. It's important to make sure that all basement walls, floors, and items have been properly sanitized since water damage can often leave behind dirt and debris. This step also aids in preventing the growth of mold or mildew, as well as any unwanted odors.
- Fix the cause of your flooded basement. It's important to take preventative measures to make sure you don't have to deal with a flooded basement again. If your home is prone to flooding, consider basement waterproofing. If you don't already have a sump pump or floor drain in your basement, consider installing them.
How To Prevent Flooded Basements in Edison, NJ
Most of the time, water in your basement can be easily avoided through regular upkeep, maintenance, and visual inspections.
- Have Your Water Heater Serviced Once Per Year - Over time, sediment and other debris can build up in your hot water heater, causing the appliance to malfunction and leak.
- Waterproof Your Basement - Because basement waterproofing can be dangerous, it's best to seek out a professional waterproofing company for help.
- Take Steps to Prevent Burst Pipes - Water discoloration and low water pressure can be indicators of aged or corroded water pipes. It's also especially important to take notice of your water pipes during the winter because of freezing temperatures.
- Be Cautious of What You Flush Down the Toilet - Sewage backups are often caused by flushing items like diapers or sanitary napkins down the toilet.
Need Help With A Flooded Basement in Edison, NJ?
When your basement sustains flooding or water damage, SERVPRO of Edison can provide immediate assistance. Our team is ready to respond with emergency water damage restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Our IICRC Certified restoration specialists provide expert services in Edison to fully clean and restore your property to its pre-water damage condition.
With over 15 years of experience in flooded basement cleanup near Edison and the surrounding areas, you can trust SERVPRO of Edison to make your water damage "Like it never even happened."
Call Us 24/7 For Immediate Assistance - 732-248-9555
Preparing For Tropical Storms in Metuchen, NJ
Before tropical storms hit New Jersey, take these steps to be prepared.
Tropical storm season is here, which means it’s increasingly urgent to stay prepared. The most effective way to keep you and your family safe during severe weather is being ready well before it ever hits.
So how should you prepare for hurricanes, cyclones, and typhoons this season? Here, we will discuss important steps you should be taking now, as well as what you should be doing during the storm event.
Call 24/7 For Immediate Assistance With Storm Damage in Metuchen, NJ - 732-248-9555
Preparing For A Tropical Storm: Checklist
- Prepare or double check your emergency survival kit. Your kit should be easy to carry in case you need to quickly evacuate your home. According to the Red Cross, your survival kit should include:
- Water (one gallon per person, per day)
- Non-perishable food items
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio
- Extra batteries
- First aid kit
- 7-day supply of medications and medical items
- Multi-purpose tool
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items
- Copies of personal documents (important medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies, etc.)
- Cell phone with chargers
- Family and emergency contact information
- Extra cash
- Emergency blanket
- Pet supplies
- Communicate a plan with your family. Designate which room in your home people and pets should take shelter in during extreme weather. Ideally, this space should be in the lowest level of your home, such as a basement or cellar. If you don’t have either of these, find a room towards the interior of your home on the lowest floor with no windows or exterior doors.
- Get your home ready. Clear your yard of anything that could blow around during the storm and damage your home. If a tropical storm warning was issued in your area, cover up windows and doors using storm shutters or by nailing pieces of plywood.
- Get your car ready. Make sure you have plenty of gas in your car and understand where you can seek shelter in case you need to evacuate your home.
- Charge electronic devices. Make sure your phones, portable chargers, and any other important devices are charged.
- Have several ways to receive weather alerts. Subscribing to National Weather Service cell phone alerts, NOAA Weather radio, and following National Weather Service on Twitter are all great ways to stay updated on weather events in your area.
During the Storm
During a tropical storm, stay inside in your designated safe space and keep away from all windows, skylights, and glass doors. By paying attention to weather alerts, you can stay updated on when the storm will start, and whether or not you need to evacuate. Never go outside before there is confirmation that the storm has passed your area.
By following the checklist above, you and your family should be able to stay safe during a tropical storm. If you find your property is damaged after a storm, SERVPRO of Edison is ready to help with all of your storm restoration needs, 365 days a year.
Need Storm Damage Repair in Metuchen, NJ? Call 24/7 - 732-248-9555
24/7 Storm Damage Cleanup in Edison, NJ
When severe storms strikes and damage your home or business, we're here to provide 24/7 storm damage repair in Edison, NJ.
Storm Damage in Edison, NJ? We're Here to Help.
When heavy rains, hurricanes, tornadoes, or strong winds cause storm damage to your home or business, you want immediate assistance to prevent further damages to your property. You may need your roof tarped, broken windows boarded up, flood cleanup, and debris removal.
When you need immediate assistance with storm damage repair in Edison, NJ, SERVPRO of Edison is Here to Help 24 hours a day.
Call Our Office 24/7 For Immediate Assistance - 732-248-9555
Rapid Storm Damage Cleanup in Edison, nJ
24/7 Emergency Services
Roof Tarping & Board Ups
Simplified Insurance Process
Dealing with the damages to your home or business after a storm can be confusing and sometimes overwhelming. It can be hard to figure out where to start when trees are down, your property is compromised, or there's flooding and water damage in your home.
With over 15 years of experience in storm damage cleanup near Edison and the surrounding cities, you can count on our team to immediately respond to any size storm disaster.
Our IICRC certified technicians have the proper training and resources to quickly respond to your call, secure your property, and begin the storm cleanup & restoration process.
SERVPRO of Edison also simplifies the insurance process for you by directly communicating with your insurance company and submitting all required documentation on your behalf. If you need help filing your claim, our Project Managers can assist you while on-site.
When you call SERVPRO of Edison for storm damage restoration in Edison, NJ, our goal is to make your disaster "Like it never even happened."
Storm Damage Repair Process
A unique plan is created for each project for storm damage repair near Edison, but the general process still remains the same.
Our Project Manager carefully inspects your storm damage in Edison, NJ to create a plan for full cleanup and restoration. Here, they will note
2 Board-Up and Roof-Tarp (As Needed)
Depending on your type of storm damage, there may be a need to board up windows, exterior walls, or tarp your roof. This is likely the case if a tree falls on your property or high winds take off shingles. This step is essential in minimizing and preventing further damage to your home or business.
In many cases, there will be water leaking into or flooding your home due to a storm. When we arrive on site, we immediately begin removing water using pumps and vacuum units. This step is important to prevent the spread of water damage or the growth of mold.
Any hidden or remaining water and moisture in your home is located and addressed using commercial grade air movers, dehumidifiers, and other specialized equipment as needed. This may also include removing affected building materials that cannot be salvaged.
Our team cleans debris, repairs, and disinfects restorable items and building materials which were damaged by the storm.
The last step in storm damage cleanup in Edison, NJ is restoring your home or business back to its pre-water damage condition. The restoration step can be relatively minor, such as replacing a few drywall panels, or could include major reconstruction, such as rebuilding entire rooms of a home or business.
24/7 Storm Damage Repair in Edison, NJ - 732-248-9555
Storm Emergency Supply Kit
These are just a few of the recommended items to include in a basic emergency supply kit:
- Water- at least a gallon per person per day for several days
- Non-perishable food (at least a 3 day supply)
- A manual can opener
- A battery operated radio, preferable with a tone alert and extra batteries
- Flashlights and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- A whistle to signal for help
- Dust masks or bandanas
- Plastic sheeting and duct tape
- Wrench or pliers for turning off utilities
- Moist towelettes
- Garbage bags
- Plastic ties
- Sleeping bags or blankets
- Local maps
- Hygiene items
- Any necessary medication
- Books, games, puzzles or other activities
- Important documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification, and bank account information
- A fire extinguisher
- Matches in a waterproof container
Storm Basics: After the Storm
After the severe weather subsides, ensure that you don’t drive through any flooded roadways, as hidden currents can be strong and extremely dangerous. Stay away from storm-damaged areas that could put you at risk due to the effects of severe thunderstorms. Listen to your local weather radio or television stations for updated information or instructions, as they will likely provide crucial information such as closed roadways and blocked areas. Offer assistance to those who may require special assistance such as the elderly, children, or those with access or functional needs. Keep a close eye on your animals. Stay aware and away from downed power lines- if you see any report them immediately. If you have storm damage to your home or property, give us a call at 732-248-9555. Timely mitigation is key to minimize secondary damages caused by severe storms.
Storm Basics: Before the Storm
To begin preparing for a storm, you should build an emergency supply kit and make a family communication plan. Another precaution you may want to take is removing dead or rotting trees and branches that are liable to fall and damage the property. If you are aware that a storm is in the forecast, you should postpone outdoor activities and secure any outdoor objects that could blow away or cause damage. Keep the 30/30 lightning safety rule in mind- go indoors if after seeing lightning you can’t count to 30 before you hear thunder. Stay inside for 30 minutes after the last clap of thunder you hear. Get inside a home, building, or hard-top automobile (although a home or building is more secure than a car, you are much safer inside a car than outside). Don’t forget to shutter your windows, secure outside doors, and unplug electronic equipment.
Storm Basics: During the Storm
Once the storm hits, try to avoid contact with electrical equipment or cords (this includes corded phones). Unplug appliance and other electrical items such as air conditioners or computers. Power surges from lightning are not only dangerous but can cause widespread electrical damage. Do your best to avoid contact with plumbing as plumbing and bathroom fixtures can be conductors for electricity. Stay away from windows and doors and off porches, and don’t lie on concrete floors or lean on concrete walls. Avoid natural lightning rods, open fields, hilltops, the beach, or a boat in the water. Take shelter in a sturdy building but avoid isolated sheds or small structures in open areas. Avoid contact with metal and if you are driving, try to safely exit the road and park until the heavy rain subsides.
Storms are Ahead
In the spring and summer seasons, flash flooding and rainstorms are more common. Heavy rainfall can cause sudden flooding and possible power outages within your local Edison area. When events like these occur, they can create a “perfect storm” for basement flooding and other related water damage. SERVPRO of Edison is always prepared and ready to go for any type of sudden disaster.
Tips for Storm Related Weather
Here are just a few helpful tips and strategies that can help you before and after a storm event.
Before the Storm-
High winds and lightening can cause power outages. Prior to the storm you’ll want to stock up on bottled water, non-perishable foods, flashlights and batteries, in the event getting the power back takes a few days.
Make sure your personal contents are off the floor and on pallets or shelves.
After the Storm-
After the storm you’ll want to survey the interior and exterior property for any damages.
Take photos of any damage that occurred from the storm for insurance purposes.
If emergency mitigation is needed, call SERVPRO of Edison to take immediate action.
Have Questions about Storm Damage?
Call Us Today At 732-248-9555
Tips from FEMA for Preparing Your Home for a Hurricane
- Plan to bring in all outdoor furniture, decorations, garbage cans, and any other items that are not properly secured or tied down
- Keep all trees and shrubs well trimmed so they are more wind resistant
- Plan what you and your family will do if your home is not accessible
- Cover any windows with precut plywood or hurricane shutters to protect them from high wind
- Consider if you will be able to run the business form an alternate location or even from your home
- Turn off utilities as instructed. Otherwise, turn the refrigerator thermostat to its coldest setting and keep the doors securely closed
- Turn off propane tanks
- Ensure a supply of water for sanitary purposes such as cleaning and flushing toilets.
- Fill the bathtub and other large containers with water.
- Create an emergency supply kit filled with items you may need in the event that you have to evacuate or bunker down
How to Prepare for Floods
In terms of damage and destruction, floods are one of the most dangerous natural disasters. Floods can affect any area, wherever rain falls the possibility of flooding exists. A few of the most common causes of flooding are:
- Melting snow
- Unusually heavy rain in a short period of time
- Levee or dam failure
- Mudflow after forest fires
- A city water pipe bursting
- Rivers overflowing their banks
- New land development
- Fire hydrants and above-ground swimming pools
- Melting ice
- Rapid weather changes
- Tropical storms
While these disaster are often unpredictable, there are a few step you can take to prepare for possible weather events and minimize the damage caused. You can:
- Keep your furnace, water heater, and electric panel elevated, especially flooding is common where you live
- Wash your hands thoroughly with clean water before eating and ensure that you do not drink from any contaminated sources.
- Avoid contact with flood water, as it may contain oil, sewage, and/or other contaminates
- Move furniture and important items to higher levels in your house and bring in any outdoor furniture
- Put together an emergency kit, including a three day supply of food and water, a flashlight, batteries, toiletries, a first aid kit, and blankets
- Pay attention to radio or television warnings
- If possible, turn off utilities at the main switches and disconnect appliances
- Store important documents in a fire and waterproof container
If you have experienced flood damage to your home, we are here to help you. You call us at (732) 248-9555 anytime to get a quick response from our restoration experts.
When Storms or Floods hit Edison, SERVPRO is ready!
SERVPRO of Edison specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Edison, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today At 732-248-9555
When a Severe Thunderstorm Hits Edison Township in NJ
Spring and summer bring warmer days, but they also bring weather that has the potential to create heavy disturbances like strong winds, thunderstorms, and lightning events. Hail can be created in a severe thunderstorm and can be an inch or more in diameter. Hail like this can cause extensive damage to roofs, vehicles, and landscape. Another risk of severe thunderstorm events is the production of high winds. Strong winds can cause major damage by knocking down trees, power lines, and other property structures—and these knocked-down structures can in turn cause even more damage.
SERVPRO of Edison specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition. If you experience weather-related damage to your property, give us a call at (732) 248-9555.
When heavy rains or storms hit Woodbridge Township, SERVPRO of Edison is Ready!
Our Trucks are always prepared for Storm or Flooding events!
SERVPRO of Edison is at the top of the list when it comes to specializing in Storm and Flood Damage Restoration. Our crews have the training and experience to restore your personal or business property back to normal after a storm event strikes.
All SERVPRO franchises are locally owned and operated. When a storm or heavy rain situation occurs, SERVPRO of Edison can respond immediately with a full crew and an unending amount of resources to start emergency restoration. Prompt service helps reduce secondary damages to your home or business!
Our Team of Expert
SERVPRO of Edison has an all hands on deck approach to a storm situation. From the initial phone call with our Office Administrators, estimates with our Project Managers, and mitigation and cleaning with our Certified Technicians - our team works tirelessly from start to finish to make sure our clients expectations are exceeded on every job.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today! (732) 248-9555
Flash floods are sudden local floods that occur mainly due to heavy amounts of rain in the local area. During these flash floods, conditions may become perilous as streets quickly fill with water and houses, especially basements start to flood and get damaged. It is important to remember during these occurrences to be cautious and head to higher ground and to stay away from flood waters. Although they are extremely unpredictable, there are a few ways you can prepare your house and family before such an event.
When preparing for potential floods and flash floods, it is smart to have a family disaster plan in place. This should include knowing your flood risk, home's elevation above the flood plane, and supplies for yourself and your family in the event of a flood or flash flood. Additionally, you should reach out to your insurance company and inquire about your coverage in case of a flood.
Some steps you can take to protect your house in preparation for potential flood risks are:
- keep valuables & important papers in a safe or safety deposit box that is unlikely to be damaged during a flood.
- Seal walls with a water proof compound to prevent water from seeping in through the cracks.
- ensure all content in the basement is at least 4 inches off the ground or is in water proof containers.
- you may also want to consult a professional in construction to see if any additional measure can be taken to protect your home
In the unfortunate event that your home or property is damaged by a flash flood, you can call SERVPRO of Edison at 732-248-9555 to get the remediation handled promptly, professionally, and properly.