Water Damage From Snow in Edison, NJ
The winter season brings along harsh weather and freezing temperatures, as well as a whole new host of water damage possibilities.
Not only is snow heavy enough to cause damage to your home in even small amounts, but once it melts, the water will slip its way into your home in any way it can.
There are many ways snow can cause water damage, but there are also steps you can take to prevent water damage from melting snow in Edison, NJ. Here, we’ll outline what causes snow water damage, as well as things homeowners can do to avoid it.
Contact Us Today For Snow Water Damage Restoration in Edison, NJ - 732-248-9555
What Causes Water Damage From Snow?
There are several reasons why your property may sustain water damage from snow, including:
- Excessive snow melt
- Ice dams
- Leaks from melting snow
- Roof leak after heavy snowfall
- Leaks from clogged gutters
1. Excessive Snow Melt
When warmer temperatures follow a heavy snowstorm, any snow that is piled up around your home can quickly melt and oversaturate the ground.
Water can then force its way through the concrete of your foundation and into your basement, causing water leaks or even flooding.
2. Ice Dams
Ice dams form when the air in your attic is warm enough to melt the snow on your roof. When this happens, the water flows to the edge of your roof and refreezes because this area isn’t warmed by the attic.
Over time, this process creates a large ridge of ice buildup, known as an ice dam, that can trap water, damage roof shingles, and eventually cause a roof leak.
3. Leaks From Melting Snow
When the snow on and around your house melts, it can easily make its way through any cracks and crevices in your home.
This means that water may slip in through windows, doors, and any other areas where there are gaps. If the water refreezes, it will expand and can make the cracks in your home larger.
4. Roof Leak After Heavy Snowfall
When heavy snow is left to accumulate on the roof, it can weaken the structural framing, leaving your roof susceptible to leaks.
5. Leaks From Clogged Gutters
If gutters become filled with snow and ice, water is unable to flow away from your house and foundation.
Clogged gutters can direct water down the side of your house, allowing it to slip through any crevices or seep through your foundation.
How to Prevent Water Damage From Melting Snow in Edison, NJ
There are various steps homeowners can take to avoid snow water damage in Edison, NJ.
- Use a roof rake after heavy snow - A roof rake can help you remove the snow from your roof to prevent ice damming and clogged gutters.
- Remove snow from the perimeter of your home - Shoveling snow away from your home decreases the amount of melted snow that can seep into the ground around your foundation, minimizing the chance of water in your basement.
- Make sure your attic is properly insulated - Maintaining a cold attic prevents the snow on your roof from unnaturally melting and causing an ice dam. You can also install heat cables on your roof to help melt away snow and ice.
- Clear your gutters of any debris before and after snowstorms - Making sure your gutters are free of any debris allows melting snow to flow away from your home. Ideally, your gutters should be clear year round!
- Get your roof inspected - Have your roof inspected so the necessary repairs can be completed before snow and ice cause more damage.
- Fill any cracks before winter arrives - Make sure to fill any cracks in the structure of your home to prevent water from slipping through.
Professional Snow Water Damage Restoration in Edison, NJ
Complete Restoration Services
The most important step after water damage from melting snow in Edison, NJ is seeking a professional to properly address all of the damages. When you ignore the moisture or damage from snow leaking into your home, it can result in mold growth or much more serious structural damage over time.
With over 15 years of experience as your local water damage restoration company, you can trust SERVPRO of Edison to handle any size snow water damage in Edison, NJ. Our team of IICRC Certified restoration specialists are highly trained and equipped to provide the most expert service.
When you call SERVPRO of Edison for snow water damage restoration in Edison, NJ, we’re ready to make the damage to your home “Like it never even happened.”